Collections & Resources
At Home or In-Library Access
- Fold3 (To access from home, click here.) - U.S. military records
- GenealogyBank - Historical newspapers, 1690-1922
- GenealogyBank - Obituaries and Death Notices - 1977-current
- Heritage Quest - U.S. Census records and Freedman's Bank
- Indianapolis Star, 1903-present
- Newsbank (America's Newspapers) - Current and recent newspapers
- Newspaper Index - Herald Bulletin (1995-2014) & Madison Co. Monthly (1990-98)
- Newspapers.com (To access from home, click here.) - Historical newspapers
- Sanborn Maps (To access from home, click here.) - Business property maps, 1867-1970
Madison County Databases
A collection of historical databases including:
- Death certificates
- Funeral home records
- Coroner's reports
- Cemetery records
- Military records
- High school student indexes
- And more indexes coming soon!
Browse or search indexes, images, and documents of Anderson and Madison County. Included are scans of AHS yearbooks and The X-Ray student newspaper, Madison County birth records, auto industry labor union newsletters, and more.
Picturing Madison County
A collection of over 500 images of Anderson and surrounding areas that is part of the Indiana Memory Digital Collections, hosted by the Indiana State Library.
The Indiana Room, located on the second floor of the Main Library, is dedicated to the study of local history and genealogy. The Indiana Room offers a variety of research collections for genealogists such as census and vital records indexes, access to the leading online genealogy websites, newspapers on microfilm, and volumes on other counties, states, and countries.
If you want to start tracing your family tree or perhaps you're stuck and haven't been able to make any progress, you can request an appointment with a librarian for a one-on-one genealogy consultation at the Main Library. Appointments are scheduled during Indiana Room business hours and typically last 30-60 minutes.
You may also contact Indiana Room staff with research questions or to request a copy of an obituary or newspaper article. We charge $1.00 per obituary.
Please note the Indiana Room is closed on Sundays.