Genealogy & Local History
Collections & Resources
AT HOME OR IN-LIBRARY ACCESS
- FindMyPast (To access from home log in using Email: email@example.com Password: APLremote1.) - U.S., Canada, and UK genealogy records
- Fold3 (To access from home, click here.) - U.S. military records
- Heritage Quest - U.S. Census records and Freedman's Bank
- Indianapolis Star, 1903-present
- NewsBank - Current and past Herald Bulletin
- Newspaper Archive (To access from home log into My Account) - Historical newspapers
- Newspaper Index - Herald Bulletin (1995-2014) & Madison Co. Monthly (1990-98)
- Newspapers.com (To access from home, click here.) - Historical newspapers
- Sanborn Maps (To access from home, click here.) - Business property maps, 1867-1970
IN-LIBRARY ACCESS ONLY
The Indiana Room, located on the second floor of the Main Library, is dedicated to the study of local history and genealogy. The Indiana Room offers a variety of research collections for genealogists such as census and vital records indexes, access to the leading online genealogy websites, newspapers on microfilm, and volumes on other counties, states, and countries.
If you want to start tracing your family tree or perhaps you're stuck and haven't been able to make any progress, you can request an appointment with a librarian for a one-on-one genealogy consultation at the Main Library. Appointments are scheduled during Indiana Room business hours and typically last 30-60 minutes.
You may also contact Indiana Room staff with research questions or to request a copy of an obituary or newspaper article. We charge $1.00 per obituary to mail them using USPS and obituaries are free if sent via email. Customers are limited to 10 obituary requests per week.
Use our Fee Payment Form to pay for your obituaries online.
Indiana Room Customer Downloads
Note: Files will be removed 1 week after the posted date.