Lapel Bulldog Student Database
About the Database
The origins of Lapel High School date back to 1874, when a new school was built on the Studley farm and so named the Studley School (it was later renamed the White School). In 1889, James M. Anderson, trustee of Stony Creek Township, built a two-room brick schoolhouse northwest of the White School, but population growth in Lapel rendered this building inadequate to accommodate the increase in enrollment. Therefore, in 1900 an eight-room building was constructed on Council Street along the Lapel corporation line. Edward L. Holton was appointed the first superintendent of Lapel schools and Rufus A. Hoover was appointed the first principal of Lapel High School. It was at this time that the Lapel schools upgraded from a three-year to four-year course.
In 1912, an addition was completed to the high school, which included four rooms, an upstairs hallway, and a gymnasium. The material utilized for this addition was partially acquired from the Aldred School in Fishersburg, which was demolished. Curriculum advancements at the high school were implemented at this time with courses in manual training, domestic science, music, and art. The high school would gain another addition in 1924 with four class rooms, an auditorium, and a new gymnasium.
On May 4, 1953, ground was broken on State Road 13 for a new high school building that was completed on April 26, 1954. The new 60,302-square-foot Lapel High School featured 21 class rooms, a science laboratory, vocational shop, home making room, library, and band room. While it opened in time for the commencement of the class of 1954, it was not until the 1954-1955 school year that it was officially opened to faculty, staff, and students. In 1957, Lapel High School became a member of the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges. On January 1, 1972, Lapel and Frankton schools joined to form the West Central Community School Corporation.
During the 1970s a 10-classroom elementary section was added to the existing school. In 1975, an athletic building was completed and the following year a music annex and kindergarten. The year 1979 saw the addition of six new classrooms to the elementary section. Further remodeling in 1987 increased the size of its facilities and enabled the elementary section to become a separate school. On July 1, 1995, the West Central Community School Corporation underwent a name change, becoming the Frankton-Lapel Community Schools.
By 2004, increased enrollment resulted in overcrowding at the high school and the Lapel Plan Commission recommended the construction of a new high school at the 100-acre corner of 200 West and 900 South. In March 2005, Frankton-Lapel Community Schools earmarked $25,000,000 to build a new high school and the ground was broken on October 3 by four students from the Lapel schools. The new 170,000-square-foot, two-story Lapel High School opened to faculty on Jan. 7, 2008, and to students the following day. The first graduation commencement of the new Lapel High School was held on May 31, 2008.
The Lapel High School yearbook was originally entitled The Echo, then The Bulldog, which remains to the present day. This database contains the 1918 and 1920 editions of The Echo, and The Bulldog for 1930 and from 1935 to the present.*
This database indexes all of the student yearbook photographs from each class, so that any student who attended LHS and was photographed for the year should be included. The index includes class photographs only; it does not include sports, event, or club photographs. It may be searched by student name and will give the year(s) the student attended and the page(s) that his/her photograph(s) were on. Should you want a copy of any photograph, please contact Indiana Room staff. We can scan or photocopy the page from the yearbook and send it to you.
*The LHS yearbook was entitled The Crusader in 1936, and The Aloha in 1941-42. The 2013 and 2014 editions of The Bulldog are not included.
|Name||Year : Page Number|